Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Running Good Lately

Have had some nice finishes in tournaments, cash & not. Even tested the waters in some live cash games. Dropped a buy-in on this hand, but I'm still up about 7x that from this hand (all-in preflop).

There was a big tournament held this last weekend that I wanted to do well in and actually started ok, but was too aggressive w/88 vs KJ on a K high flop to get crippled. The tournament (run by a cop) had 84 players w/a $35 buy-in. I was chip leader at my table for a short while until I ran into that KJ.

Later that night in another tournament, I was playing a bunch of rookies who loved watching WPT/WSOP. They played any 2 cards from any position for any amount. Raises meant little. So I wisely picked my spots into 11th place of about 24 people. Just missing the final table by my elimination. I had gotten lucky several times to make it there, so probably turn about is fair play. 9T vs AA in an unraised pot, flop is 9 high, I bet, get reraised all-in for a small amount more, so I call. Ouch. Rivered a 9. The guy w/AA had minutes before declared he hated AA after he got into another pot w/AA & checked it all the way down to the river w/a K high board. When I busted him, I couldn't help myself: "now I know why you hate AA". Not my fault they play it wrong.

When it was combined down to 2 tables, I was moved to the right of a player I play with semi-regularly. He was relatively short stacked & told me he was just waiting for the cards to go all-in. 5 mins later, he found those cards: AKs. I had TT. Called, flopped a T, him a K & flush draw. Turned a K to squash his flush draw. He needed his A or another K or the other board card to pair to help him (7 outs, 15%), but I survived.

* * *

A couple of the bar tournaments that I won, placed, or showed in the last couple of weeks, I got similarly lucky or unlucky. I've been seeing way to many AJ vs AQ confrontations lately. With about a 50/50 split on it. I've had AJ & won & AQ & lost. I'm trying to think of the times I've had AQ & won . . . hmmm. Nope. Not so much. AQ vs KQ, lost. AQ vs AJ, lost. Both those times for elimination from a tournament. I had AJ vs AQ, won. Board was AAxx, & EP goes all-in, I call because he's been known to push with crap. I very well could've had AA when he pushed & I never would've put him on AQ. Well, he did . . . only for me to river a J.

Tonight is the 2nd to last game for a local seasonal points game that I'm trying to actually show I can play. I'm hoping to make the Tournament of Champions by earning enough points. A strong finish is needed tonight & on SUN for that to be a reality. Wish me luck . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home